The museum is housed in a historic 1901 building originally built by J.P. Talcott for use as a carriage and implement store, and a modern steel and concrete addition that was built in 2001.
The exhibit of largely unrestored vintage, antique and collectible automobiles stresses conservation rather than restoration. It seeks to maintain and preserve their originality for current and future automotive enthusiasts. This enables the visitor to see how the cars were built by the automakers in their day. The imperfections of the unrestored old cars can lead one to wonder about their past histories and the families who owned and drove them. Each of the cars is displayed with an information summary that tells some of its history.